Oregon Adopts Pearson’s New Contemporary, Computer-Based Teacher Certification Tests
The Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC) has announced that it is working with the Evaluation Systems group of Pearson to implement new contemporary teacher certification tests that are part of the company’s NES® (National Evaluation Series™).
Oregon will use the NES tests to replace many existing PRAXIS tests for licenses and endorsements, integrating the new NES tests with the existing customized Oregon Educator Licensure Assessments (ORELA) program. Additional details for candidates and teacher preparation program faculty will be made available throughout 2010 on the TSPC Web site at http://www.oregon.gov/TSPC and through other communications.
Beginning Sept. 1, 2010, candidates for Oregon teacher licensure will be able to take the NES tests at Pearson’s secure testing centers in the state and around the country. A series of free preparation guides for the NES is now available at http://www.NEStest.com and will also be available at http://www.orela.nesinc.com/ beginning in June 2010, when test registration opens. The preparation guides, called NES Profiles, include the information a candidate needs about the test, such as the format, content areas and competencies covered, as well as sample test questions and answers.
Test areas not yet developed by NES that will continue to be administered through the PRAXIS Series testing program:
The Praxis Series™ assessments provide educational tests and other services that states use as part of their teacher licensure and certification process. The Praxis I® tests measure basic academic skills, and the Praxis II® tests measure general and subject-specific knowledge and teaching skills.
* Agriculture (10900) [Agriculture]
* Chemistry, Physics & General Sciences (10070) [Chemistry/Physics]
* Speech Language Pathology (20330) [Communications Disorders]
* Special Education: Preschool/Early Childhood (10690) [Early Intervention/Early Childhood]
* French Content Knowledge and Productive Language Skills (20173; 10171) [French]
* German Content Knowledge and Productive Language Skills (20181; 30182) [German]
* Education of the Deaf & Hard of Hearing Students (10271) [Hearing Impaired]
* Marketing Education (10560) [Marketing]
* Reading Specialist (20300) [Reading]
* School Psychologist (10400) [School Psychologist]
* Speech Communication (10220) [Speech Communication]
* Technology Education (10050) [Technology]
* Teaching Students with Visual Impairments (10280) [Vision Impaired
The PRAXIS II Subject Exams are paper and pencil tests that cover a wide range of licensure and certification areas. The PRAXIS II Subject Exams are offered through out the year on specific test dates.
For information on registration, test dates, test fees, and test preparation materials can be found at the PRAXIS website: http://ets.org/praxis
For information on Oregon teacher certification requirements please visit the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission website: http://www.tspc.state.or.us/
Questions? You can email your questions to us at firstname.lastname@example.org