The TOEFL® ( Test of English as a Foreign Language ™) test measures the ability of nonnative speakers of English to use and understand English as it is spoken, written, and heard in college and university settings.
Internet Based TOEFL
The TOEFL® iBT (Internet-based Test) tests all four language skills that are important for effective communication: reading, listening, speaking and writing. The test helps students demonstrate that they have the English skills needed for success. The TOEFL iBT emphasizes integrated skills and provides better information to institutions about students' ability to communicate in an academic setting and their readiness for academic coursework. With Internet-based testing, ETS can capture speech and score responses in a standardized manner.
The TOEFL iBT measures skills in reading, listening, speaking and writing, and requires you to combine 2 or more of these skills to respond to a question. For example, you might read a passage or listen to a lecture in English, and then write or speak your answers in English.
You can also review sample test questions to become more familiar with how the TOEFL iBT is structured and formatted and what type of content it contains.
- You will be able to review examples of conversations, lectures, reading passages, writing samples, spoken responses and more.
- You will also be able to answer questions and check your answers.
- You will not receive a score on these sample sections.
The University of Oregon Testing Office is an official TOEFL iBT test site. The TOEFL iBT is offered on specific dates throughout the calendar year. Our schedule varies from month to month based on the days and start times proposed by ETS.
The iBT TOEFL will be offered at the U of OR Testing Center on the following dates:
Nov. 3, 2017
Dec. 2, 2017
Jan. 19, 2018
Mar. 2, 2018
April 27, 2018
iBT TOEFL registration is done exclusively through the iBT TOEFL web site: http://www.ets.org/toefl
The Institutional TOEFL (PBT- paper based TOEFL) is offered by the University of Oregon Testing Office. The institutional administration of the TOEFL exam is permitted only for individuals who have a relationship with the University, e.g. American English Institute (AEI) students, regular or CEP students, or anyone who has submitted an application to be a University of Oregon student. Lacking this relationship, testing through the institutional program is not permitted. Scores from the institutional administration of the TOEFL are sent only to the University of Oregon Admissions Office, the American English Institute (AEI), or University of Oregon academic departments.
Registration for regular University of Oregon students, CEP students, or applicants is in person at the Testing Center. Online registration is available only for AEI students. The test fee is $55.00, and proof of current University of Oregon student or applicant status is required. Testing information is available at the University of Oregon Testing Center (541-346-3230) or the American English Institute (541-346-3945).
- The PBT TOEFL may only be taken ONCE per term.
- The PBT TOEFL will be offered during Fall Term 2017 on Fri. Nov. 17, 2017.
- Online registration for AEI students only will open on Mon. Sept. 25, 2017 and close at the end of business on Tues. Oct. 17, 2017.
- Registration for current UO students, CEP students, and applicants will also open on Mon. Sept. 25th and close no later than Oct. 17th, or when all seats have been filled. To register, come to the Testing Center with ID and $55.00 cash or check.
- Questions? You can email your questions to us at firstname.lastname@example.org